Cottage cheese lasagna is a delicious and slightly healthier twist on the classic Italian dish.
In this recipe, cottage cheese takes the place of the traditional ricotta, adding a unique and creamy texture, while also being lower in fat and calories.
If you’re looking to try something a bit different, this might just become your new favorite way to make lasagna!
This savory dish is perfect for family dinners, potlucks or just a cozy night at home
And the best part – it’s easy to make!
With simple ingredients like cottage cheese, mozzarella, eggs, and your choice of meat or vegetables, you’ll have a mouthwatering meal that everyone will love.
I’m confident that once you give it a try, you too will be raving about cottage cheese lasagna.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 lb ground beef or Italian sausage
- 24 oz cottage cheese (approximately 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: fresh or dried parsley, for garnish
In this recipe, you’ll be using both cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese.
Feel free to use ground beef or Italian sausage, depending on your preference.
Olive oil and Italian seasoning elevate the flavor of your lasagna.
Make sure to have some marinara sauce on hand for easy assembly, and don’t forget the garlic and onion for added depth.
Finally, season everything to your liking with salt and pepper.
If you’d like, you can garnish your finished cottage cheese lasagna with fresh or dried parsley for the perfect presentation.
How to Make the Lasagna
- First, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- While the oven heats up, grab a skillet and brown your choice of meat (ground beef, ground turkey, or even a vegan alternative) over medium-high heat.
- Drain the fat and set the browned meat aside.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray or a thin layer of oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper to create the cottage cheese sauce.
- To assemble the lasagna, start by spreading 1 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of your greased baking dish.
- Layer 4 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Spread 1 3/4 cups of your cottage cheese mixture and 1/4 cup of marinara sauce over the noodles.
- Add a layer of your browned meat, followed by a layer of vegetables, if desired.
- Repeat steps 7 to 9 one more time to create a second layer.
- Finish by placing the remaining lasagna noodles on top, then spread the remaining sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until the lasagna is bubbling and the cheese is melted and golden.
Remember, to let your lasagna rest for at least 45 minutes before slicing and serving for the best results. Enjoy your delicious homemade cottage cheese lasagna!
Tips for Making the Perfect Lasagna
To avoid watery lasagna, make sure you drain the cottage cheese well.
Consider using full-fat cottage cheese to enhance both taste and texture.
Don’t worry about the calories, as you can opt for low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese if desired.
For a delicious taste, mix the cottage cheese with herbs like basil or parsley.
Gently blend your cottage cheese to reduce its crumbly texture.
When assembling the lasagna, cover with aluminum foil to keep it moist while baking.
Remember to remove the foil near the end for a crispy top layer.
Enjoy your perfect lasagna with the ideal combination of taste, texture, and presentation!
Variations and Substitutions
When making cottage cheese lasagna, you can choose to keep it simple or customize to your tastes.
If you prefer a meaty lasagna, consider adding Italian sausage to your recipe.
Simply cook and crumble it, then mix it into your marinara sauce.
For a richer texture, choose full fat cottage cheese instead of a low-fat version.
This will give your lasagna a creamier, more indulgent feel.
Feel free to get creative with veggies, adding options like spinach, zucchini, or mushrooms.
These can be layered with the cheese mixture for added flavor and nutrition.
Don’t forget to play around with different types of cheeses for topping your lasagna. Mozzarella, Swiss, and fontina all make for delicious, melt-in-your-mouth options.
Remember, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to your cottage cheese lasagna.
Mix and match ingredients to create your own delicious masterpiece.
Serving Suggestions and Pairing Options
When you serve cottage cheese lasagna for dinner, it’s the perfect comfort food to enjoy with family and friends.
- You might want to add a fresh salad on the side, as it balances out the richness of the lasagna.
- Garlic bread is a classic pairing, providing a crunchy and flavorful complement to the meal.
- For an extra burst of color and taste, consider grilled or steamed vegetables as a side dish.
When preparing your dinner table:
- Set out bowls of grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for those who like extra toppings.
- Offer beverages like red wine, which goes well with lasagna, or a lighter option like iced tea.
Lastly, keep in mind that your cottage cheese lasagna can also be easily customized to meet different dietary preferences:
- For a vegetarian version, swap the meat for a mix of veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, and spinach.
- If you want to make it gluten-free, use gluten-free lasagna noodles or thinly sliced zucchini instead.
Enjoy your delicious lasagna dinner and the delightful company at your table!
Cottage Cheese Lasagna
- 12 ct Lasagna Noodles
- 1 lb Ground beef or Italian sausage
- 24 oz Cottage Cheese
- 1.5 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- .5 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- 2 ct Beaten Eggs
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- .5 ct Diced Onion
- 4 ct Diced Yellow Onion
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Brown the meat in a skillet over medium-high heat, drain the fat, and set aside.
- Grease the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Mix the cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl to make the cottage cheese sauce.
- Spread 1 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer 4 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Spread 1 3/4 cups of the cottage cheese mixture and 1/4 cup of marinara sauce over the noodles.
- Add a layer of browned meat, followed by a layer of vegetables if desired.
- Repeat steps 6-8 to create a second layer.
- Place remaining lasagna noodles on top, then spread remaining sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes until lasagna is bubbling and cheese is melted and golden.
- Best Ways to Spot a Simple Food Label - September 21, 2023
- How Home Cooking and Meal Planning Can Help Achieve Long-Term Weight Loss - September 13, 2023
- How to Make the Perfect Authentic Italian Cannoli - August 12, 2023