Huevos con chorizo is a popular and flavorful Mexican dish that combines delicious, spicy chorizo with perfectly cooked eggs.
This hearty breakfast or brunch option can transport you to the streets of Mexico with each warm and savory bite.
As you explore this classic recipe, you’ll find that it’s not only easy to prepare, but it also incorporates a beautiful blend of mouth-watering flavors.
To make huevos con chorizo, you’ll need to gather key ingredients, such as Mexican chorizo, eggs, and some fresh accompaniments like avocado and warm tortillas for serving.
The great thing about this dish is that it’s easy to adapt based on your preferences and works well for small and large groups.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of creating a delectable huevos con chorizo meal that is sure to satisfy your taste buds and impress your friends and family.
With just a bit of preparation and simple cooking techniques, you’ll be well on your way to mastering this classic Mexican delight.
How to Make Huevos Con Chorizo
To make Huevos Con Chorizo, you will need the following ingredients:
- 8 ounces Mexican style chorizo (remove casing if using chorizo in link form)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: diced tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro, and lime juice for pico de gallo
- Optional: corn tortillas, lime wedges, and hot sauce for serving
Remove the casing from the Mexican chorizo if you use chorizo in link form.
Crumble or chop the chorizo into smaller pieces.
Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the tablespoon of vegetable oil.
Add the crumbled chorizo to the skillet.
Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is browned and cooked.
While the chorizo is cooking, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them lightly with salt and pepper, according to your taste.
Reduce the heat to medium.
Pour the egg mixture over the cooked chorizo in the skillet.
Stir gently, combining the eggs and chorizo.
Allow the egg and chorizo mixture to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
The eggs should be fully cooked and set, yet still moist.
Optional – Prepare pico de gallo: If you want to add a fresh touch to the dish, you can mix diced tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl.
Season with salt and pepper.
You can serve Huevos Con Chorizo on a plate with your choice of sides or wrapped in warmed corn tortillas, topped with pico de gallo and a squeeze of lime.
Enjoy your simple yet flavorful Mexican-style Huevos Con Chorizo, which is best enjoyed with your favorite hot sauce on the side.
Side Dishes for Huevos Con Chorizo
Huevos con chorizo is a delicious and popular Mexican breakfast recipe, and you might be wondering about the perfect side dishes to complement the spicy flavors of scrambled eggs and chorizo.
Here are some suggestions that will take your Mexican breakfast to the next level:
Whether you choose corn or flour tortillas, serving warm tortillas with your huevos con chorizo allows you to create a satisfying wrap or taco.
Corn tortillas offer an authentic, traditional flavor, while flour tortillas add a softer texture to your breakfast.
Warm them up in a dry skillet or directly over a flame for a few seconds on each side.
Refried beans are a classic Mexican side dish that can easily be paired with huevos con chorizo.
You can opt for black beans or the more commonly used pinto beans to suit your taste.
Their creamy consistency pairs well with the spicy scrambled eggs and chorizo, providing a hearty and balanced breakfast.
Here, we will share a substitute that you can consider to create a delicious recipe.
If you’re following a plant-based diet or simply want to cut down on your meat consumption, you can use vegan chorizo in your huevos con chorizo recipe.
Vegan chorizo is made from soy protein or other plant-based ingredients and mimics the texture and flavor of traditional Mexican chorizo.
This substitute allows you to enjoy the dish without compromising on your dietary preferences.
How to Store Huevos Con Chorizo
Properly storing your Huevos Con Chorizo is essential to maintain its taste and freshness for future enjoyment.
Here are some guidelines on how to store your delicious dish.
First and foremost, allow your Huevos Con Chorizo to cool down completely before storing it.
Placing hot food in an airtight container can create a breeding ground for bacteria.
Once cooled, transfer the Huevos Con Chorizo to an airtight container.
This will help preserve its flavors and prevent it from absorbing any odors from other foods in your refrigerator.
Separate the leftover chorizo from the eggs before storing them.
This way, you can avoid the chorizo from becoming soggy as it sits with the eggs.
Store the leftover chorizo in a separate airtight container.
Place the airtight containers with Huevos Con Chorizo and leftover chorizo in the refrigerator rather than at room temperature.
Refrigerated storage will help maintain freshness and slow down any bacterial growth.
It is recommended to consume the stored Huevos Con Chorizo within 3 to 4 days.
When ready to enjoy your leftovers, simply reheat them in a skillet over medium heat or the microwave.
If you want to store your Huevos Con Chorizo for an even longer time, you can opt to freeze the dish.
Be sure to separate the chorizo and eggs, and use freezer-safe airtight containers.
Label the containers with the date to ensure you consume them within 2 to 3 months for optimal taste and quality.
Following these storage guidelines, you can enjoy your Huevos Con Chorizo whenever you crave this flavorful Mexican dish.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
Here are the most common mistakes to avoid when preparing Huevos Con Chorizo:
Overcooking the Eggs
Eggs cook quickly and can easily become overcooked, resulting in a dry and rubbery texture.
To avoid overcooking, be mindful of your heat level and closely monitor the eggs while they cook.
Remove them from the heat once they’re slightly undercooked, as they’ll continue cooking for a few moments off the stove.
Not Fully Cooking the Chorizo
Chorizo needs to be thoroughly cooked before it’s mixed with the eggs since it contains raw meat.
Ensure that you cook the chorizo properly by breaking it into small pieces while it cooks, making it easier to brown evenly and fully cook through.
Overseasoning the Dish
Mexican chorizo is already seasoned and brings a lot of flavors to the dish.
Be cautious not to overseason your eggs with additional spices, as it might overpower the flavors and create an unbalanced taste.
Stick to the basics like salt and pepper for seasoning.
As an aside, always review any Affiliate Links or Disclosure Policy related to a recipe you’re following.
Be aware of sponsored content and its possible influence on the recipe’s ingredients or techniques.
You can enjoy a delicious and satisfying meal by avoiding these common mistakes while preparing huevos con chorizo.
Huevos con Chorizo Recipe
- 1 Nonstick skillet
- 1 bowl
- 8 ounces Mexican style chorizo remove casing if using chorizo in link form
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- diced tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro, and lime juice for pico de gallo Optional
- corn tortillas, lime wedges, and hot sauce for serving Optional
- Remove the casing from the Mexican chorizo if you use chorizo in link form.Crumble or chop the chorizo into smaller pieces.
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Add the crumbled chorizo to the skillet.Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is browned and cooked.
- While the chorizo is cooking, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them lightly with salt and pepper, according to your taste.
- Reduce the heat to medium.Pour the egg mixture over the cooked chorizo in the skillet.Stir gently, combining the eggs and chorizo.
- Allow the egg and chorizo mixture to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.The eggs should be fully cooked and set, yet still moist.
- Optional - Prepare pico de gallo: If you want to add a fresh touch to the dish, you can mix diced tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl.Season with salt and pepper.
- You can serve Huevos Con Chorizo on a plate with your choice of sides or wrapped in warmed corn tortillas, topped with pico de gallo and a squeeze of lime.Enjoy your simple yet flavorful Mexican-style Huevos Con Chorizo, which is best enjoyed with your favorite hot sauce on the side.